Cycling is for lovers. What could be more romantic that riding bikes while holding hands, the warm sunshine spilling over your smiling faces? Nothing we think.
If you’re lucky enough to hook up with a fellow cyclist, the options for cheap dates are endless! Day long rides are a fantastic way to get to know your partner, get some exercise and explore your surroundings.
Before you set off you’ll need to create a checklist. You’ll want to have handy:
• Your helmet. Safety first!
• Front and rear lights
• A basket or pannier to carry your goodies home
• A mini air pump
• Extra tubes
• A patch kit
• A wrench if your bike doesn’t have a quick release
• Tire levers
• A working bell or horn. Nothing like slamming into an unwarned pedestrian.
Now that you’ve got yourself covered, here are some ideas.
1. Dessert ride. Explore all the local bakeries, trying out the best cupcakes, cookies, and pastries. You’ll ride enough to work it off!
2. Little Italy ride. Stuff your face with gelato, fresh buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto, eggplant rollatini, and chicken parmigiana.
3. Historical tour. Every town or city has a little bit of history. Do a little digging to find out what’s hiding in your local vicinity and make a plan to pedal around to all the sites.
4. Bridges and Hills ride. Challenge yourself and your partner by trying to tackle as many bridges and hills in one day. Your thighs and glutes will thank you later!
5. Scavenger Hunt Ride. This one is going to take a little work but can be oh-so fun when it’s all said and done. Each partner creates clues leading from one venue to another. They can be trivia questions, a riddle, or something your partner has to physically get. Choose a mutual spot to end the ride and a set number of clues. Whoever gets to the finish spot first wins!